BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Il y a tout ce que vous voulez

Ah Paris... a wonderful city to visit. Like Rome it is packed with tourists and hustlers, but the broad boulevards, and open vistas keep you from feeling hemmed in.
There is so much to see, and it is a city made for walking, so Nikolai never struggled to keep up. He even had extra energy to hike up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower.
There were public bathrooms everywhere, playgrounds everywhere, and croissants everywhere.
Throw in some stinky cheese, and we were travelling with two happy children.  Our only struggle was around taking the metro with our stroller.  But even then the Parisians were happy to oblige, if Brad was unavailable to help carry the stroller, then someone else was sure to pick up the bottom and help me haul it down the stairs.
Now we're in Ireland, and having a fab time visiting with all our friends... (one little five year old is sitting next to me wondering about how my computer works, so I'm going to skip right to my recipe).  There is a grain-free crepes, called a succa, that is traditional in the south of France.  After discovering that, I had to try it out myself in our tiny Parisian kitchenette.  It worked out quite well, though I think I need to work on my flipping technique... I'll blame the pan for now!

Socca
Mix together: 1 cup chickpea flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4 tsp salt, 1+ 1/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp minced rosemary and 1 tsp cumin (optional). The crepe batter should be quite wet, and will need to sit for at least two hours before it's ready to use to fully saturate the flour.
Then fry in hot olive oil until the middle seems cooked, flip over and add toppings then serve.  Traditionally it is served plain, topped with rosemary, cumin, salt and pepper. But you could also fill it with any sweet or savoury crepe fillings that you would like.

The kids definitely seemed to like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment