BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Friday, July 12, 2013

The kaleidoscope

The picture of Uliana above was taken through Nikolai's kaleidoscope. Life is busy, but I failed to bring my camera to this week's exciting events.  Nikolai's in his second week of summer camp... and loving it!  We went to our first Harbour Cats baseball game!  Saw the Pride Parade!  Visited with Aunty Claire!  And didn't have my camera...

So instead I'll provide a picture of our typical after-dinner quite time, and a recipe for rice pudding.  Both of which are full of peace and zen.

Silk Road Rice Pudding
Combine 5 cups of milk, 2/3 cup honey, 3 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1/2 cup raisins and 1/8 tsp salt in a pot.  Stirring frequently, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until mixture thickens (about 30 min).  Remove from heat, add in 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground fennel, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 tsp orange zest and 1 tsp vanilla.

Toast 1/2 cup of chopped almonds in a skillet.  Sprinkle almonds over rice pudding when serving.

While I didn't remember to take a picture of the rice pudding until it was almost gone... I did manage to catch a picture of Uliana sitting in the shade of our very heavily laden cherry and apple trees.  She is only "slightly" interested in eating grass, so she can generally be trusted to sit on her own while I weed the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment