BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

At a whirl

At the moment every day life continues to be so busy... and with summer arriving things are only set to get busier!  Our lives are nearly fully booked through to Nikolai's first day of kindergarten in September. 

However, my #1 issue is still sleep.  Brad has been spelling me off for the first 3-4 hours of the night, but I really would just like Uliana to settle back to 1-2 wakings a night.  She did pop her first tooth last Thursday (I wasn't too far off in my predictions!)!  But that hasn't helped her sleep settle... yet... I still live in hope!

Now for some photos from the Victoria Day Parade.  This is a massive 3 hour parade on a route that must easily takes an hour to complete.  It is a parade full of homegrown floats and high school bands.  It falls on the national holiday of Victoria Day (which is only linked to the city of Victoria by the namesake of Queen Victoria).

Now for a recipe... I've boldly decided to get rid of my file of clipped recipes.  All the recipes that I plan on making are stuck to my fridge.  If they're good I'll blog them... if not... well... we won't be making a beer-cheese soup again anytime soon!  My first recipe is...

Carrot Cake
Grease a loaf pan, then coat in sesame seeds, rotating to cover all the sides.  The sesame seeds will form a crust on the cake that is sooo delicious.
Combine the dry ingredients: 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup date sugar (or finely chopped dates), 2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp salt.

Combine the wet ingredients: 2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups grated carrots, 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, and 1/2 cup honey.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and pour into a prepared pan.  Bake at 350F (175C) for 45 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment