BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Thursday, January 17, 2013

When will I write

I'm actually really quite busy trying to get an entry ready for a national short story competition.  It shouldn't take me more than 10 hours or so to get it all done and edited, but that is 10 hours more than I have! 

Uliana continues to be a great nighttime sleeper (which is why I'm even considering writing anything these days), but she likes to be held all day.  It's good that she knows the difference between day and night and gives me a good 4 hour stretch of sleep every night.  But it would be nice to put her down sometimes so that I could get more done during the day!  (At the moment this blog is being written with Uliana in the carrier, wet laundry in the washer, dry laundry in the dryer, dishes all over the kitchen, unmade beds... well you get the picture.)  Holding Uliana means that Nikolai gets more of my attention as I'm not busy with other things, but he is annoyed by her constantly being in my arms.  I do understand... how can I put a roof on Farmer Pickle's hen house if my hands can't hold a hammer?

In general I am feeling great.  Likely this is related to the fact that my liver functioning is officially back to normal!  I really do notice a difference as I have way more energy now then I did throughout my pregnancy.  On that note, we've started to become busy again.  Yesterday we did an outing to Miniature World with a friend of ours.  It was a bit overpriced from my adult point of view... but Nikolai loved it, and we spent 2 hours going back and forth through the exhibits.  I think the main reason why he liked it is because most exhibits have tons of buttons that you could push to make the miniatures light up or move.
As promised I'm going to start including a recipe in every blog.  (Though it's hard to imagine how I'll come up with so many recipes when I don't really have time to cook!)

Braised Lentils
This is a quick recipe that is so fantastic and sophisticated that we actually served it for our Christmas dinner this year.  It can be served over a rustic bread or millet polenta.  Nikolai loves it straight up, and we always make a double batch so that he can eat up the leftovers.

1. Parboil 3/4 cup of brown or french lentils for 5 minutes, then drain.

2. Saute a 1/2 cup of chopped onion and a 1/2 cup of chopped carrot in olive oil until they are starting to brown. Add two cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp prepared mustard and 1/2 cup of red wine. Bring to a boil.  Add lentils and 1 1/2 cups of water.  Simmer until lentils are cooked (about 40 min).

3. Stir in a big bunch of greens (spinach, kale, etc.) and cook until fully wilted.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment