BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Friday, December 07, 2012

The waiting game

No stories this week.  I did eventually join the city-wide cold epidemic, so my head feels like it's in a submarine.  However, that's not really the excuse.  The truth is that at the moment our life is all about waiting. Like all children, Nikolai is waiting for Christmas to arrive. But mostly we are all really just waiting for one thing... and that's the arrival of the baby. 

Though the due date is not for another three weeks, the holiday season is so full of plans that I can't help but wonder... will I make it to that party? that potluck? the preschool Christmas concert? 

Anyways, here's a picture of my big belly in front of the crib (do I look like I'm a viral factory?), followed by a picture of Brad and Nikolai reading in bed.  Somehow we've managed to squeeze a nursery and a preschooler's bedroom into a small 9' x 13' room (a common size for area rugs).  We like to think of it as cosy!

And I'd like to include a recipe to finish this blog.  I recently found a website that is literally all about sugar free cooking.  I'm pretty excited to try out some of their sweets as a treat for Nikolai this Christmas.  I also like the way they refer to things as a granulated sweetener. I plan on adopting that myself as it's open to interpretation.  It allows most people to use sugar, whereas I would use fructose or ground dates.  The same goes for reference to flour in this recipe.  I honestly use rye for nearly all my baking these days.  It's low-gluten so a good replacement for pastry flour. But basically it's one of the cheapest flours out there, and nearly half the price of wheat flour (unless you're buying it as a "specialty" product).  I guess rye must be easy to grow!

Baked Fruit Pancake
This is pretty sweet for a typical pancake breakfast, but we like it with a side of eggs.  It would also make a nice dessert if sprinkled with icing sugar and served with cream.  

Combine 4 eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, 1 tbsp granulated sweetener, 1 tsp cinnamon and process until smooth. 

Heat 1/4 cup of butter in a large oven proof frying pan. Add 2 cups of chopped fruit and 2 tbsp of honey, and saute until the fruit is cooked and lightly caramelized.  Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

Pour batter over the fruit and bake in a 450 F (220 C) oven for 15 min, or until browned and puffed up at the edges.

1 comment:

Ash said...

You look gorgeous! We hung up your advent calendar today & Michael filled them with Lego figures. It's a great hit with Eoin wondering what Lego figure he'll get tomorrow! Ash xx

Post a Comment