BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Thursday, May 17, 2012

A cycle ride in tweed

One of the things I love about living in a small, yet still important, city is that there is just so much going on.  On any given weekend there are tons of events to go to, yet the city is small enough that I'm always certain to run into an acquaintence or two.  As I'm still rather new to the neighbourhood, I really only have a nodding acquaintence with most of my neighbours, but I'm sure my circle will expand and I will find myself well-connected once again.

This past weekend we joined the Victoria Tweed Ride.  It was a fundraising ride for Bicycles for Humanity, which sends donated bicycles (typically used bicycles) to African communities.  But mostly the ride was a chance to dress up and show off your bicycle.  Tweed rides started in London (where else?) but have spread around the globe.  If you're interested in videos of people cycling along in a rather dashing attire, then have a look at some of the videos on the Tweed Ride home page.

We only really heard about the Tweed ride two days before the event, but luckily our wedding reception last year was pretty tweedy so it wasn't hard to get into costume.  Though my outfit was not the most spectacular, the skirt was something I made in Ireland, from Irish tweed suiting material, so I figured that I would fit in just fine.

The ride was 16km long, starting at the venerable Empress Hotel.  We'd just bought Nikolai a second-hand trail-a-bike, so it was his first really outing on it.  He did get tired, and complained of a sore bum, but I don't think it was the distance so much as the speed.  It took us forever to finally reach the location of the tea party at Craigdarroch Castle.  In the end, a jolly good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment