BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Friday, May 11, 2012

An allergy free birthday cake

Above is a picture of Nikolai looking for orca's on the ferry ride to Vancouver.  We were on our way to my Mom's birthday celebrations.  It was one of those big round numbers that are generally acknowledged as milestones through life (though I suspect Hallmark at being responsible for the emerging importance of so many "important" holidays).

As usual, I was responsible for the cake.  But if anyone knows my family well... then they know that we are ripe with fun food peccadilloes.  Having a food intolerance is practically a right of passage into the family, so everyone is taking Nikolai's new sulfite-free diet in stride.  My mother is wheat-free, as it seems to flare up her arthritis. And my sister, Claire, was visiting from London, with her dairy and corn intolerance.  So I needed to make a wheat-free, dairy free, sugar free (along with any other processed foods) cake!

As it turns out, I was just as pleased as punch with the results.  The cake was so good that I'd recommend it as a "healthy" alternative for anyone craving a protein fix with their chocolate/peanut butter fix.
 Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake 

Cake:
Cook 2/3 cup of quinoa in 1 1/3 cup of water (bring to a boil and simmer for 10 min). Fluff with a fork, add 3/4 cup of butter (margarine).  Stir until the butter is fully melted, then allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).  Grease baking pans (makes two 8" rounds).

Puree quinoa/butter mixture with 4 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 cup of honey (or you could replace the honey with 1/3 cup of milk and 1 1/2 cups of sugar for a cheaper alternative).

Mix 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl.

Mix dry and wet ingredients. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 40-45 min or until a skewer comes out clean.  Cool completely in the pan.

Frosting:

Mix 1 cup of creamy peanut butter and 2 to 3 cups of icing sugar or powdered fructose (depending on consistency of peanut butter) until smooth.

I've never been terribly good at applying frosting, so I got some advice at a kitchen store.  All I needed for this cake was an icing bag and a big cupcake frosting tip.  A totally worthwhile investment given my years of cake frosting failures.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It was so-o-o-oo delicious!

Post a Comment