BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Thursday, June 16, 2011

An ode to the Maynooth Newsletter

The Maynooth Newsletter comes out, but once a month. It is free to all and circulated door-to-door around Maynooth. But you can also pick it up at the local grocery stores (though I was recently corrected on my use of that word, apparently I should be referring to Tescos and ilk as Supermarkets) and in the bookshop. And as far as I know it's publication is the only thing that the Maynooth Community Council is actually responsible for.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I love that it is 32 pages long. And most of those pages have some connection (social or otherwise) to our daily life.

I love that it contains an hour's worth of reading in the advice column format (gardening, finance, employment, home theft prevention and passport renewal this month).

I love that it publishes the minutes of community council meeting (Tidy Towns are stepping up their activities, and light reflective strips are needed at the corners of Main Street!)

I love the crossword contest and the kids colouring contest.

I love the full colour photographs of the families with children making the Holy Communion.

I love that someone from NUIM provided a translation of early Irish Text.

But most of all I LOVE the ad for Brad's talk on cycle touring in Nova Scotia for bike week! (He's never even been to Nova Scotia, but as the Bike Week organizer said, sure... but... it's just down the road from Quebec, right?)

And while most of the recipes this month are centred around meat... here's a Gooseberry Cobbler that has a rather Irish flare:

Cook in a saucepan, covered, until berries begin to pop:
3 cups of gooseberries, washed topped and tailed
1/2 cup granulated sweetener
1 tsp grated ginger
3 tbsp elderflower cordial
4 tbsp water

Mix the topping:
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup of butter (rub into dry ingredients)
1/4 cup granulated sweetener
3/4 cup butter milk (add enough to make a sticky dough)

Put gooseberry mixture into the bottom of a baking dish, then top with dough. Bake for 25 minutes at 375F (170C).

The photo is of Nikolai and a friend at the Dublin Zoo. Colin's family recently moved here from Oregon. They have a REALLY nice camera (so, so jealous), and a blog for those back home that is more photographic in nature. Don't worry that cat was too busy eating to notice our children standing so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment