BRAD     |     EMILLIE

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stories of sickness


I will blog about our travel adventures next... but first it needs to be prefaced with stories of sickness. Since that is really what my parents' visit has been all about!

It all started on the Tuesday before their arrival... Nikolai was sick. He was the saddest little guy I've ever seen and he spent most of the day on the couch crying and sleeping. He was definitely better, but still out of sorts, on Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday he was right as rain, but I got a mysterious sore throat on Friday night. By Saturday afternoon I was really sick, and spent the rest of the next three days in bed, crying and sleeping with my super high fever and sore throat. This was fairly disappointing, since we'd borrowed a friend's car to pick my parents up at the airport, and we were wanting to do some other car chores before they arrived. Regardless, Nikolai and Brad were able to pick up my parents without me!

On Monday, I went to the doctor and got my much detested antibiotics. Frankly, I am generally not a believer in antibiotics... but it was amazing how quickly I got better once I started the regime. Unfortunately, my mother got a worrying sore throat on Tuesday night and, having learned a lesson from me, she went to the doctor on Wednesday afternoon. Brad got the sore throat the day we left for our driving tour. Luckily, I'd planned ahead and packed my full briefcase of natural antibiotics. So he managed to survive through a few days of mild sore throat on a regime of three Golden Seal extract pills daily, tea tree oil gargles, echinacea and oil of oregano. Phew!

The only problem was that I didn't realize how tenacious this particular strain of strep was. Nikolai ended up with the worst diaper rash I have ever seen on him. Which was rather surprizing since he's nearly out of diapers, so it's not like he was sitting around in wet diapers all the time. Then, after being cured, I came down with another bad case of strep yesterday. Not wanting to get really sick again (and on behalf of my mother and Brad who were both still struggling with their strep) I went back to the doctor. Only to discover that he'd come down with strep throat as well!

Anyways, to make a long story shorter... Nikolai's diaper rash... a strep infection... my throat... was a repeat infection. Basically, our whole household was passing the infection back and forth to each other. My solution... we have become VERY clean. So we are all washing our hands frequently, no sharing of utensils, I've washed everyone's pillow cases, etc. I refuse to have this very aggressive bacteria continue to live in my house.

The picture is from Clonmacnoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment